We want to expand our team of outstanding developers to help the UK government build and run great digital services for the people of the UK. Candidates must have strong skills in frontendfrontend or backendbackend web developer (or both) and be ready to quickly get to work within a multimulti-disciplinary team of developers, designers, editors, analysts focussedfocussed on one or more products or projects. Day-to-day you will be responsible for working with that team to design, create and improve new and existing products, platforms and transactions across government.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
- Building web and mobile products to serve a variety of citizens’citizens’ needs.
- Implementing APIsAPIs for internal and external use.
- Building up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a Continuous Deployment environment.
- Being involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
- Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team, both developers and non-developers
- Taking part in 2nd2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office
PERSON SPECIFICATION – COMPETENCES/SKILLS REQUIRED
Specialist Skills & Requirements
Experience building server-side web applications and detailed knowledge of at least one programming language (we use a range of languages including ruby, python and scalascala) and/or detailed understanding and experience of front-end web development (HTML/CSSCSS/JSJS)
An ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
Experience working on technical projects within a team
Working knowledge of unixunix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X
Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as subversion or git
Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
Knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems
System administration and configuration management skills
Experience presenting work at user groups and conferences
Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites
Understanding of the use of Responsive Web Design
Experience of designing and maintaining public HTTP APIs
Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling
Job posted in: Software Engineer Jobs
- Bristol (Bristol, England)
- £550 - £600 per day
Job Salary/Pay Rate
- 5 months
Contract Job Duration
- Software Engineer Jobs