1) Strong communication skills
2) Fundamental research skills (from scratch)
* Previous experience or exposure to the military context, and especially military C2.
* Knowledge of experimental methods that include human factors, technology war-gaming or action research.
* Familiarity with ethical and legal issues.
A contractor is requried to conduct and progress research in the Command and Control (C2) capability area.
C2 is concerned with the following two aspects of military capability:
1. Command and Leadership – the setting of intent, direction and the exercise of authority.
2. Functions – the organisation and processes which support the commander in understanding the situation, making decisions and tasking.
Developing our understanding of conflict/crisis situations is important as is the requirement to collaborate with allies and other government and non-government agencies.
In an increasingly complex world the way in which military C2 is carried out needs to evolve. Science and technology advice is increasingly sought to identify, develop and explore potential solutions to specific and generic problems. We are currently researching subject areas such as Planning (Operational, Tactical, cross-government), Battlespace Management, and Headquarters design options (typically with regard to size, functions and processes). In the medium to longer term, we are planning to research new approaches based on learning and automation. You would be required to work in one or more of these areas, providing a broad technical contribution.
The contractor will be required to:
* Assist with C2 concept development, and conduct research in areas such as Sense-making, Planning, Adaptive Organising, Battlespace Management and C2 Lifecycles.
* Plan, assist and provide written reports on C2 analysis, experimentation and trials.
Liaise with military staff and stakeholders and other research suppliers to seek novel and innovative solutions to identified C2 problems. Some international travel may be required in support of exercises.
* Work within a systems thinking environment
Evidence of the following generic skills/experience is required:
* A technically credible background, sufficient to have the ability to effectively shape and conduct S&T responses to stakeholder problems and needs.
* Business analysis or systems thinking skills in a research context.
* Awareness of conceptual modelling techniques and utility of abstract thought.
* The ability to communicate complex problems succinctly and to use this to influence and negotiate from a position of technical and intellectual strength.
* The ability to be self-starting and directing and having a dynamic, team-based proactive approach to tasks and the solving of challenging problems.
* An appreciation of experimentation methods and data analysis, ideally in respect of ‘in the field’ activities as well as in laboratory settings.
You will probably be either a graduate or have equivalent experience in a relevant field (technical, analytical, business, social sciences). An example of a relevant field would be management science. An enthusiastic attitude, curiosity and willingness to get involved is more important than academic background or skillset, though an analytical, organised mind is essential.
Job posted in: IT Project Manager Jobs
- Salisbury (Wiltshire, England)
- Up to £417.55 per day
Job Salary/Pay Rate
- 12 months
Contract Job Duration
- IT Project Manager Jobs